What a wonderful time we had in the park on Sunday. Thanks to everyone who worked to make the joint service and potluck a joyful experience. Chip worked overtime setting up, breaking down and ushering. Jan pulled together a good combined choir and played all the hymns. The Tongan Dancers, the drama (which included Pastor Gregory) and the powerful preaching were highlights of the day. Then there was a lot fabulous food and fellowship around the tables. Truly, we came together in “Unity with Purpose.” Continue reading Note from Pastor Rick (8/24/2016)
Imagine being a part of the early church. You wouldn’t have had much going for you and your little tribe of Jewish and Gentile misfits. After all your “king” rode a donkey and waved a white flag of surrender, he was nailed to a cross as a political prisoner standing up for liberty and justice for all, and his glorious come-back in resurrection was the ultimate upset to a first century reader as it’s two women greeting him on his way to restore the Kingdom. On top of that, it was illegal to be Christian, as to follow Christ meant you were not following Caesar – prepare to hide or prepare to die. Continue reading Pastor Gregory Says… (8/24/16)
Our August Special Mission Offering is for Habitat For Humanity Greater San Francisco. The mission of the Greater San Francisco Habitat for Humanity is to make the dream of home ownership a reality for low‐income families ‐ a virtually unattainable dream for the majority of residents in San Francisco, Marin and the Peninsula. We urge you to give generously to this offering. Thank you so much on behalf of the Habitat families. Continue reading Mission Offering for August: Habitat
- Choir is on hiatus for the Summer.
- Meditation Group will be on hiatus from August 3 through September 14, reconvening on Wednesday, September 21.
- Thursday, August 25, 11:30 AM: Women’s Brunch at Dinah’s Poolside Restaurant, 4261 El Camino Real, Palo Alto. All women of our church community are invited to join in.
- Sunday, August 28, Fifteenth Sunday After Pentecost
10:00 AM Worship and Sunday School: “Coming Home: Nesting,” Psalm 84; Ephesians 2:11-22, Pastor Rick preaching.
11:15 AM Patio Hour hosted by Chip and Charlie Clark
- Monday, August 29: Spire Deadline
- NO BIBLE STUDY Tuesday, August 30, We will meet again on September 6, 10:30 AM at Marylea McLean’s apartment, 373 Pine Lane, #4204, Los Altos.
- Sunday, September 4: Sixteenth Sunday After Pentecost
10:00 AM: Worship for the Whole Family with Communion:
“Opportunity Knocks – with a Song to Sing,” Deuteronomy 30:15-20; Psalm 139:1-6,13-18; Luke 14:25-33; Philemon 1-21, Pastor Rick preaching. Remember if you have a favorite song or one you’ve just been missing or something. Please Pastor Rick know as soon as possible for consideration for the service.
11:15 AM Patio Hour.
11:30 AM: Quarterly Business Meeting in the Parlor
- Wednesday, September 7, 8:30 AM: Men’s Breakfast at Bill’s Cafe, 3163 Middlefield, Palo Alto. All the men from our Church family are welcome.
“You should never allow any person or institution to own or control your longing. No one has a right to deny you the beautiful adventure of God by turning you into a serf of a cold and sinister deity. When you let that happen, it makes you homeless. You are a child of Divine Longing. In your deepest nature you are one with your God.”
John O’Donohue, Eternal Echoes: Exploring Our Yearning to Belong